🗓️ Monday, May 30, 2022–Sunday, June 5, 2022
tl;dr: Day job has been way too demanding for me to have any time or energy to write, so I’ve taken a week of paid time off to create a solo writing retreat and finish a draft of Razing Babel at long last.
Table of Contents
Philosophy & Approach
Text to Paul Krueger on June 2, 2022, summarizing why I’m doing this:
- Method/hypoxic/deep dive approach to writing. Tweet thread here for some context. Quantity is more important than quality—editing comes later. The most important thing is to foster an unrestrained setting for creation. All words on manuscript count. No deleting words; all of that can come later.
- Schedule modeled off what works for me at the day job in terms of time blocks.
- Food delivery allows more brain space to work on novella by removing meal planning effort and food prep time, as well as fostering a feeling of this retreat being special time, like how an actual writing retreat has catering. Same for laundry service.
- The rest of this document is written in second-person POV as instructions to myself.
Rules & Boundaries
- Phone stays off except during visiting hours and emergencies. Use iPad for any apps you may need to access.
- Project status updates to Twitter permitted during break times only. All other tweets must wait until visiting hours.
- Research is permitted during work blocks, but try to keep rabbit holes on topic.
- No caffeine after 2:00 pm.
Take 3mg melatonin in addition to evening meds during wind down time to regulate sleep cycle. Removed because I have since learned that melatonin supplement doses in the US are dangerously high, meaning potential risk is greater than marginal benefit, and because I didn’t use it anyway—better sleep hygiene was enough.